Saturday, April 23, 2011

Antiquing Covers a Multitude of (Paint) Sins!

It's been too long since I last posted! I'll apologize with an antiquing tip! :) Remember the Colonial Blue Cabinet? It needed some antique redware plates to match!
These plates used to be the blue splatterware metal plates that are sold so cheaply at places like miniatures.com. I gessoed them to prime it and then used toothpicks to paint a PA dutch style design. Every paint mark was either a dot or a dragged dot to make leaf or teardrop shapes. Obviously painting is not my gift! Time to cover it up by antiquing it!I use Folk Art Antiquing Polish which does a wonderful job on wood too!
They don't look so pretty close up but with a little more buffing, wiping and placement in a cabinet, I've got antiques!
A little more character for my cabinet!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on the dishes, Daisy. I have a bottle of that antiquing polish here but didn't know what to do with it. Thanks for the great idea!!
    Wendy (wenlaine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! They do look antique- I would never imagine they started out as those spackled plates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still learning how to "age" my minis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muy buena idea, el resultado precioso¡¡¡, muchas gracias por compartir, un beso
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this idea! I love old PA Dutch style items and this a great way to recreate some of those, and I have a ton of plates in my stash that I don't know what to do with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...